- 3 Whole Egg Yolks
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Starch
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
For the Cake
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 5 Whole Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1 ¼ Cups Flour
- ½ Cup Raspberry Jam, to garnish
- ½ Cup Light Sugar Syrup
- 250 Grams (gm) Strawberry, halved lengthwise
- PUCK Whipping Cream
- 100 Grams (gm) Blackberries, to garnish
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar in a bowl placed in hot water.
- Add milk and continue stirring until it boils, then add starch and stir continuously for 20 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and smooth.
- Add the vanilla essence and place mixture on a frozen water bath.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Line the baking tray with a silicon board and spray with sugar. Place in the oven for 10 minutes ensuring the sugar does not melt or change color.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and vanilla essence in a deep bowl with an electric whisk on medium speed until the mixture becomes light.
- Add the heated sugar as you continue stirring.
- Sift the flour and slowly add it to the mixture, stirring gently until all the ingredients have combined.
- Increase oven heat to 180°C.
- Line the bottom of a high-edged baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Pour cake mixture into the tray and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Flip cake onto a metal cooling rack and leave it to cool, then turn the cake on its side and cut into two equal halves.
- Spread raspberry jam on one half and stack them, applying light pressure to stick them together.
- Cut the cake into small equal-sized squares.
- Pour a layer of custard into a deep serving bowl, then add a layer of cake squares.
- Drizzle the sugar syrup over the cake squares.
- Stack strawberry slices on the bowl sides then add a layer of Puck Whipping Cream (previously whipped with an electric blender) and flatten the surface.
- Garnish the surface with raspberry jam, spreading in thin circles of increasing width from the center of the cake, then using a toothpick to drag parts of the inner circle all the way out to the widest circle to create a spider’s web effect.
- Garnish with blackberries and serve.